Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Invisible Provision

While we were pregnant with Kristen we were in a Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University course learning how to be and live debt free. While we're still working on the finer points, one thing we learned to trust in and rely on was God's provision. That was one of the main reasons we gave Kristen the middle name of Moriah, which means God will provide.
Well, one of the areas we've kind of taken for granted, or at least not been mindful to thank God for, has been our insurance coverage. We've been getting "explanation of benefits" (EOB) statements over the last few weeks, and will probably get them for another month or so. They just state that a bill has been sent to our insurance company and we'd get a bill later for what they don't cover. So I called today to find out what OUR final bill was going to look like. I didn't want to get down the road and get a bill in the mail that we wouldn't be able to pay, and not be ready for a blow like that. So while I was on hold I looked online what the current running total was with the electronic EOB's and I found we're currently at around $85,000...so far. I know that's pennies compared to what some people end up paying to keep their little ones alive with cesarean surgeries and NICU expenses, but it's a little hard knowing that we racked up that kind of bill, yet didn't get to bring our baby home. Granted, I could also say it only cost $85K to have been able to spend 4 days with her!
So anyway, the customer service rep gets on the phone and I tell her what I am trying figure out and she asks a series of questions then says, "well, it looks like you're 100% covered." I had to clarify, you mean no copays, no random charges are going to come popping up? Nope! (There's one charge that got coded wrong and she's having to resubmit it so we don't have to pay it, but that was their error.) So, once more I'm reminded that God is providing for us, even when we're not mindful of it. There have been so many ways that God has provided for us, and not just financially, but that's definitely been a huge one! I was thinking it was going to be hard to "be thankful" this Thanksgiving, but I know we have plenty to be thankful for. I guess a good adjective for this kind of situation is "bittersweet."

1 comment:

  1. Wow...that is such a blessing to be 100% covered. I'm so glad that you don't have that burden weighing you down. :)

    ReplyDelete