Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The power of a song

There have been a few songs lately that have taken on new meaning and importance in the last few weeks. I'm adding them to our playlist so you can hear them too as you visit our blog. I am posting the lyrics to so you can read what they're saying. The last one I've put some "editorial comments" about in regards to a quote by the band's leader that helped me look at music in a new way.
(if you want the lyrics to the other songs we have on our playlist so far, you can see them in this post.)


Bring The Rain

Artist(Band):MercyMe

I can count a million times, people asking me how I can praise You with all that I've gone through. The question just amazes me, can circumstances possibly change who I forever am in You?

Maybe since my life was changed, long before these rainy days, it's never really ever crossed my mind. To turn my back on you, oh Lord, My only shelter from the storm. But instead I draw closer through these times. So I pray,

Bring me joy, bring me peace, Bring the chance to be free, Bring me anything that brings You glory. And I know there'll be days when this life brings me pain but if that's what it takes to praise You Jesus, bring the rain.

I am yours regardless of the clouds that may loom above because you are much greater than my pain you who made a way for me suffering your destiny so tell me whats a little rain?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Casting Crowns
Praise You In This Storm

I was sure by nowt hat You would have reached down and wiped our tears away, stepped in and saved the day. But once again, I say "Amen" and it's still raining.

As the thunder rolls I barely hear You whisper through the rain "I'm with you". And as Your mercy falls I raise my hands and praise the God who gives and takes away

I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands. For you are who you are no matter where I am. Every tear I've cried you hold in Your hand. You never left my side. And though my heart is torn, I will praise you in this storm.

I remember when I stumbled in the wind, You heard my cry You raised me up again. My strength is almost gone, how can I carry on if I can't find You?

As the thunder rolls I barely hear You whisper through the rain "I'm with you". And as Your mercy falls I raise my hands and praise the God who gives and takes away

I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth.

-----------------------------------------------------

I heard a song a few weeks before Kristen was born and I even printed out the words because they caught me so off guard when I heard them, I wanted to read them and let them soak in. I found a quote by the band in an article and found it true of the struggle I have with wanting to worship and listen to worship music but having a heavy heart....how do I do that!? But God doesn't say come to me all who are light-hearted and at peace with life. No, He said, come to me all who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest. So I will learn to worship in that place, with my heavy heart, waiting for His rest and peace.

Jesus said, 'True worshipers will worship in spirit and in truth.' When we sit down to write a song, essentially we are dealing with two things: Truth and the struggle to accept that truth. Emotion without truth is just sentimental and truth without emotion becomes cruel. Hopefully in our music, we are talking about the truth of God, but marrying that with the struggle that is within every person to believe. I think it's a struggle that will last for our whole lives." - Tenth Avenue North

Artist: Tenth Avenue North
Song: By Your Side

Why are you striving these days? Why are you trying to earn grace? Why are you crying? Let me lift up your face, Just don't turn away

Why are you looking for love? Why are you still searching as if I'm not enough? To where will you go child, Tell me where will you run, To where will you run?

And I'll be by your side, Wherever you fall, In the dead of night, Whenever you call
And please don't fight These hands that are holding you, My hands are holding you

Look at these hands and my side, They swallowed the grave on that night, When I drank the world's sin So I could carry you in And give you life, I want to give you life

Cause I, I love you, I want you to know That I, I love you, I'll never let you go

No comments:

Post a Comment