Friday, September 12, 2008

A few thoughts from Daddy.......

The research bug has finally made it's way into my head. I sit here in the wee hours of the morning ( or night depending on how you look at it) and not being able to sleep, I finally got the nerve to Google "trisomy 18". I have found how commonly rare trisomy 18 really is (if that makes any sense). Here is just one result of a search I did for trisomy 18...........Results 1 - 10 of about 496,000 for trisomy 18. (0.06 seconds). It only took .006 seconds to find almost 500,000 hits for this disease. And I am sure that if you change the wording a bit, who knows how many sites are out there. Is this disease rare? No, just unheard of. The most common forms of a trisomy are trisomy 21 (downs), trisomy 18 (edwards) and trisomy 13 (Patau). Trisomy 21 is the most common, trisomy 18 is second and 13 is the rarest of the three.

I have to say, looking at some of the medical sites, Kristen's personality definitely shown through. She was without a doubt a fighter. She fought a battle in 3 days that most fetus's don't get to fight....
(click the post title to keep reading.)

Most of the sites said that 1 in 1500 are still born and 1 in 5000 to 8000 don't live longer than a week. Only given three days to get to know, love, cherish, adore and care for Kristen was unquestionably against most and all odds. I am very thankful that God gave us those three days. Kristen didn't loose any battle, in fact, she won every battle and now gets to live the eternal life with Jesus. Don't get me wrong, for the first few hours of her life and while we were still at St. Joe's hospital, I was really really mad at God. For a few moments everything I believe was put into question. But as the hours, days, and weeks go by, all those thoughts fade and all that is left is knowing that in my times of grieve and sorrow, my Lord will never leave me nor forsake me and he will not abandon me in this time and time to come.

Seeing some of the photos of defects from trisomy 18 made me realize how much Kristen had to fight to live. Every cell, every cell in her body was affected by this chromosomal disease. From the top of her little head to the bottom of her feet, she was affected. Yes, she had the cists in her brain, yes, her head was smaller, yes her little pointer fingers overrode the other fingers, yes she had bad heart malformations and defects, yes her lungs were immature, yes she might of had rocker feet. But from a father's eyes, none of that matters nor did it matter. All that matters is that she was beautiful and she was ours. Also from my research and from what medical personel have told us is that this disease is nothing that Tara nor I carry. This was not a heriditary trait but it is a genetic trait and that nothing that we did had caused this to happen. This is by no means the end of the Balcom family. We will push on and move forward in continuing to expand our family. Granted to allow Tara's body to heal properly, it has been suggested that we wait at least a year before we start to try to have more children.

My final thought.......please don't feel like you have to "hide" your grieve when around us. This is hard on many people. We cry just the same and your tears will help our tears. By hiding your emotions when around us, we in turn, begin to feel that we have to hide our tears when around others. To the nameless and faceless, we will never be able to find words to begin thanking you for everything that you have done for us. To everybody else, thank you for lifting us up in your prayers and for all that you are doing for us as well. God bless

K

4 comments:

  1. I pray that God will continue to pour out His comfort to your family in this time.

    I wrote a piece last week and dedicated it to you....thought you might want to read it. Certainly losses, and especially term losses, are the hardest part of my job. Thankfully there are many beautiful things that can be done to remember these precious children.

    http://www.faithwriters.com/wc-article-level1.php?id=25448

    With Love, Leah Orcutt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing, Kevin. I am writing an email to you and Tara right now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post. She did win the battle. Kristen was an incredible blessing. I am so thankful for your three glorious days to know her, love her, and cherish her. She has touched so many lives and she is so loved!

    I know you miss her terribly...but you are never alone. She is with you daddy and mommy. And you will be reunited again.

    A poem I found a few days ago and have been wanting to share with you...

    My Forever Child
    You are a Precious Child
    Created out of love,
    a blessing from above.
    I've adored you from the start,
    and your little footprints touched my heart.
    A single teardrop represents
    the millions I have cried.
    My life never the same since you died.
    I wish you could have stayed longer with me,
    I'd watch you grow into all you could be.
    Although we are apart,
    You are always in my heart.
    I dream of a joyful time when
    we will be reunited once again.
    Thoughts of you make me smile.
    You will always be My Forever Child
    ~Susan Mosquera

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kevin, reading this entry brought tears to my eyes, thank you so much for sharing from your heart. She is an amazing miracle and I am blown away after reading what you found through your research. God bless you, Kevin and Tara.

    ReplyDelete