Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Week 39 and a new prayer request

Well, we've made it to 39 weeks. Technically her due date isn't until next week so she's still got time. However, the midwives are already starting to talk about possible interventions IF they're needed, IF she doesn't come on her own within the next week and a half or so. For those that don't know, my last delivery was via a cesarean section so this time around I am opting for a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) because there's no medical reason to have another surgery if my body can do things naturally. The only glitch is that I can't be induced with a VBAC, it has to happen on it's own, or else we schedule the surgery. That's still a ways off, but definitely on the horizon. Normally moms are allowed to go up to two weeks passed their due dates for a normal delivery. I'm gonna be hard pressed to make it that far simply because of my history!
So although every mom wishes to not have to go passed her due date for the obvious comfort and excitement reasons, I'm asking for prayers that we don't have to worry about that for intervention reasons! If Ashley doesn't make her debut by next week sometime, we'll be offered various tests just to make sure she's okay in there and then start talking about possible interventions to help her along. I know I want her to come when she's ready, but I really hope she's ready before the doctors/midwives are!! :)

Here's the update for this week:
Your baby's waiting to greet the world! She continues to build a layer of fat to help control her body temperature after birth, but it's likely she already measures about 20 inches and weighs a bit over 7 pounds, a mini watermelon. (Boys tend to be slightly heavier than girls.) The outer layers of her skin are sloughing off as new skin forms underneath.

No comments:

Post a Comment