Thursday, November 20, 2008

Remembering Kristen at Christmas

I've been thinking a lot lately how to best honor/remember Kristen this Christmas without making it be all about her. I want to celebrate the life she had on earth, the life she is enjoying in heaven and not so much about the earthly death she experienced. She's part of our family. She always will be, but how do we incorporate that? I don't want her to be forgotten or overlooked because she's not here in person. This would have been her first Christmas and there are lots of things that we do for a baby's first Christmas - do we have to miss out on that opportunity? That's one thing that I struggle with is having experiences stolen from us. The dates still come and go on the calendar, but not with the anticipation and excitement they once did. We're still excited for Katelynn to experience the joys and wonder of Christmas, but there's just something about celebrating the birth of a baby while mourning the loss of one. Yeah, I know, if it wasn't for Jesus we wouldn't have the hope we do that Kristen is in a better place and we'll see her one day.....but I still want her here with me and that will never change. The desires are still there to to get a cute little tiny Christmas dress for her, have her photo with Santa, and feel the joy Mary did as she held her newborn.

I've been wanting to some how incorporate her into our family traditions and maybe somehow into a family photo via a stuffed animal or something. Some people may feel uncomfortable with us wanting to incorporate Kristen into our family traditions, but until they loose a baby and find themselves making similar decisions, they can keep their opinions to themselves! :) I won't have her ignored just because she's not here.

So I/We've decided to do a few things.
1. We're still going to get her a little stocking. I've read suggestions to write her little notes or tell little stories, so it becomes kind of an on-going time capsule, chronicling our journey. But then that way she'd always be part of our family "line-up" at Christmas.

2. She'll still have an ornament on the tree. That's been a tradition my parents have always done. I want to get her one too. Below is a link to the ornaments that the Trisomy 18 Foundation sells, raising money for the foundation that supports the families of babies diagnosed, living with or lost from Trisomy 18.
Trisomy 18 Ornaments of Hope

3. Buying gifts: it seems kind of weird to be buying gifts for a baby that would never play with them, but it also seems weird NOT to be buying gifts for a baby this year. So I decided I would get a giving tree or Toys for Tots baby and buy a few gifts for them in honor of Kristen. I could do that every year in her honor (for a child that would be the same age as she would have been that year) and our kids could do it too as they got old enough to understand. I may even have Katelynn help pick out the gift this year or have her give one herself.

4. Christmas card/letter: I've been meaning to do one for years and never did....not sure if I will this year or not. I would want to send a photo, but how do we best represent our family of four with just three people? And it feels kinda weird writing a letter that usually tells of the previous year "Kevin loves his new job, Katelynn started preschool, we had a baby and we lost a baby, and Merry Christmas!" But I also want people to know about our family's year as there was more that happened than just Kristen. But I suppose all the people I would be sending it to already know!

I'm sure I'll add to and/or modify this "Christmas List" as time goes by. But it gives me/us somewhere to start. I don't know theologically if Kristen can see/experience us here on earth, but I can rest in the fact that the Christmas celebration she gets to witness will be out of this world!

6 comments:

  1. I love your thoughts on how to celebrate, remember, and honor Kristen. What a loving family she has. I know it may be bitter-sweet...or just darn hard- especially at the holidays, but I'm so glad you have peace knowing she is in loving arms in Heaven. And I think the idea of toys for a babe that is her age each year is awesome! What a great way for Katelynn to be involved too. Very thoughtful, as usual! Thank you for sharing your journey. Much love to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara,
    I think your ideas are amazing! I LOVE them all. The thing with the toy buying (same age each year as Kristen) is an exciting idea! I think it's great! We do that each year with our kids, but always wish we could know the child. You will know it's in honor of Kristen and so that makes it even more speacial, I think!
    I agree! You should hang her stocking and ornaments too. She will forever be part of your family!
    Above all, the hopes you had for this Christmas, I pray your family is at peace, and are blessed!
    Love, Vicki C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tara, Kevin and Katelynn, God bless you as you navigate this part of your lives!! I can only imagine the hard steps you're taking. I am totally, awesomely impressed with your ideas for celebrating Kristen and your family during the holidays. I pray that the Creative God of the Universe continues to inspire you in your creative celebration of the very real life that is still impacting lives far and wide. I am so proud of you all and your "realness" while working through this. I (we) love you and want you to know that we're here supporting you in any/all ways possible.

    We love you,
    Rod and Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tara & Kevin,
    What a beautiful way to celebrate Kristen in your Christmas traditions. I LOVE all of your ideas, and I think it is only right to find ways to incorporate her into how you celebrate each year. Thank you for being so real with how you are feeling, and how you are coping with each new stage of life. It is also wonderful to know the hope that you have in seeing her again someday, and yes, she will be celebrating this year better than we can even imagine. :) I love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tara,
    First, let me express my deep sadness at the loss of your precious daughter. I am so very sorry this is a path that you are having to walk. I'm not certain if you will remember me, but we met before, when you and Kevin used to go to New Song Church. My name is Lisa Southard, and I'm not positive, but I vaguely remember I may have given you a massage before you and Kevin were married? I could be wrong about that part, but I KNOW that we've met before. Casey Lleras is one of my closest friends and she shared the news of your loss with me. Casey knows that I have a particularly soft, tender spot in my heart for mommas who've lost babies. I myself have suffered the loss of 2 little ones due to miscarraige. To say it is horrible to lose a baby doesn't even scratch the surface. I cannot even imagine how much more difficult is is to lose a baby after you've carried to term. I don't know what that feels like, however I absolutely know the grief of losing an unborn child. I know there are no words to make anything better....but please know this....you will come through this - even if sometimes you don't even care if you do or not! I've been reading your blog since shortly after I heard the news about Kristen. I spend many nights reading and weeping as I pray for God to comfort you in the way that only He can.

    I've wanted to reach out to you many times, but I've been waiting on the Lord's prompting. Well, the time is now. I very much understand the desire to somehow remember a loved one we've lost, especialy at the holidays. You see, in between the 2 miscarriages, I also lost my beloved mother, just 3 years ago. As I'm sure you can imagine, losing ones mom...is a profound loss also. My mom died in October, so the holidays were right in my face the first year. I was absolutely overwhelmed at the idea of even "doing" Christmas, and yet God is so good in the way He works through other people. My husband and I do have one child, a son (Daniel) who is almost seven. God used Daniel (at the mere age of 3) as a literal lifeline during that first Christmas without my mom. He was so full of excitement and joy and kept BEGGING me to put up a tree and to let him 'help' me decorate the house. One particular afternoon as I sat in my chair drenched in grief, the Lord spoke very softly to my heart. He asked me if I was gonna skip celebrating my son Daniel's upcoming 4th birthday in January, because my mom was gone? I thought, well of course not....it will be hard to do it without her, but of course I wouldn't NOT celebrate the birth of my child. BINGO! The Lord said, then why won't you celebrate the birth of mine? The birth of MY SON is the very reason that your mother is actually fully alive & well in heaven, waiting to see you again one day! Tara, for ME, that was a significant revelation and it prompted me to celebrate, as best I could, but I made the decision to rejoice in the birth of my King.

    I also made the decision to find a way to remember my mom, and have her be a part of Christmas, in a new way each year. I found a web-site that has beautiful memorial gifts. I purchased "Your Life was a Blessing" picture frames for everyone in my family and included a picture of my mom in them. My mom had a tradition of buying me a new ornamnet each year for our tree. So, I also purchased an ornament from the web-site, called "Merry Christmas from Heaven." The ornament came with a beautiful poem by the same name, and now each Christmas, I hang that ornament on the front of our tree and remember my mom. I don't know if either of those items are things that are of interest to you or not, but if you want to check them out, or other items that are available, the web-site is called thecomfortcompany.net. Tara, I hope this wasn't too much information :o) But, I want you to know...even though we don't really know each other, please know that I am standing in the gap for you and praying for your heart to be mercifully healed, day-by-day, or even minute-by-minute, in His perfect timing and in His most perfect ways! You are not alone...even though I'm guessing it feels like it at times.

    Be gentle with yourself and give yourself permission to just be wherever you are.

    Comfort & Peace to you sweet mommy friend,
    Lisa Southard

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking of all of you. Merry Christmas.

    Love and hugs,
    The Judge's

    ReplyDelete