Sunday, December 21, 2008

My little missionary

I've been meaning to post this for a while and keep forgetting!
The preschool Katelynn and I go to is held at a church but is provided through Pierce College, so definitely not "faith based." Our last class of the semester both our teachers were gone so we had subs. The child teacher I think was a former preschool mom and our parent teacher was the director of the Pierce College preschool program. At the end of class we always have music time with the teacher having a list of songs planned out. Well, this teacher didn't have a list and just kind of did the songs she remembered, some we'd never heard. She then started asking for suggestions from the kids. She asked for one more song and Katelynn jumped up and said "Jesus Loves Me!!" The teacher asked a little unsure, "oh, you sing that here? Okay, let's sing it!" and she started leading the group in singing Jesus Loves Me. Katelynn loved it and was dancing and clapping the whole time. A few of the moms looked a little unsure but my favorite look was from the parent teacher. She wasn't singing along like she did with the other songs, she wasn't smiling, and she wasn't enjoying herself nearly as much as Katelynn was! I'm not sure if it was because of her position and having to maintain a separation of church and state, or because of her personal beliefs, but all I could think of was "out of the mouth of babes! You asked for suggestions and you got them!" Can I get a witness!? :)

2 comments: