Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My "Love Story" Contest entry

Our local Christian radio station is having a "Love Story" contest and they are encouraging people to send in their stories, even those that aren't the typical boy meets girl story. I'd been contemplating it for a while and finally did it. Here's my entry:

Not all moms have an instant bond with their babies. My daughter Kristen was born with a chromosomal defect called Trisomy 18 and was taken to another hospital for care while I recovered from surgery. I didn't get to really hold her until she was almost 2 days old an I was well enough to go see her. There were lots of visitors in and out of the NICU my first day with her so at 5 in the morning I decided it was time for some mother/daughter time. I wanted to meet my baby and I wanted her to know who her mommy was. She and I spent almost 2 hours snuggling together in spite of the tubes and monitors she was hooked up to. Sadly, she was born into heaven about three hours later. I will never forget that early morning visit where I got to truly meet my daughter and we fell in love for the first time.

1 comment:

  1. This brought tears to my eyes. This should definatly be the number 1 story!!! It's very touching and another way to spread the word about T18.

    Kathie Sosby

    ReplyDelete