Saturday, March 20, 2010

How much did your Friday night cost?

Last night Kevin and I went on a "date." Katelynn was at her grandparents' and we had a gift card for Red Lobster from Christmas so we decided to make it a date. After our free dinner, we did one of our favorite things to do together - grocery shopping. Not just any grocery shopping, mind you! Kevin calls it legalized robbery, I call it frugality as it's best! Not only do I love saving so much money on our groceries, but I love that he enjoys it just as much as I do! :)
Big Picture:
Went in with $10 in store credit. Spent $3.74. Left with $11 in store credit and $125 worth of groceries.
So essentially we made $7.00!!

For those that care, here's what we did and what we got for less than 4!!

Transaction #1:
4 boxes of cereal
10 cans of juice (on rain check from last week)
6 coupons
$10 credit from last week's frozen food sale
Total $3.26
Savings of $29.20

Transaction #2:
6 boxes of cereal
6 bananas - had to buy these to get my total above $0.00
6 coupons
$5 credit from buying the juice in transaction #1
Total $.31
Savings of $29.00

Transaction #3
6 boxes of cereal
1 package of bendy straws - they were on sale and it's fun to have them, not to mention I had to buy something to get my total above $0.00
6 coupons
$5 credit from buying the juice in transaction #1
Total $.09
Savings of $29.89

Transaction #4
6 boxes of cereal
1 pizza
8 coupons
$4 credit for buying cereal in prior transaction
Total: $.03
Savings of $33.80

Total paid: $3.74
Total saved: $121.89
Value of groceries: $125.63
and still came home with $11 more dollars in store credit for buying the cereal to use on the next sale!

What am I going to do with all the cereal? Well, I wanted enough to supply my family and house guests (with baby coming, I want EASY!!) for at least a few months. It won't expire until after Christmas, so we've got time to eat it! And I plan on going back for more free cereal today so I can give it away! I'm essentially making $.46 on each set of 6 that I buy, so why not!!??  Who says couponing isn't worth it??

Oh and by the way, I only "clipped" about 5 of these coupons, the rest I actually bought on e-Bay for about $2. I probably put about 30 minutes into preparing for this particular trip to the store and another 20 minutes in the store. So an hours worth of time and I saved $121.....$120 an hour isn't bad for a stay at home mom! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment