Tuesday, January 26, 2010

24 Weeks down, only 16 to go!

It's crazy to think I've already been pregnant now for 6 Months! However, more days than not I physically feel like it!! But it's crazy to think I'm only 4 weeks (one month!) away from my third trimester already! Woo-hoo!

I had a fetal echo scan on Monday just to check the baby's heart and give momma a little piece of mind :). I wasn't satisfied with how the routine ultrasound went at 20 weeks and was offered another ultrasound JUST for the heart so I took it. (Kristen's heart defects weren't the kind that show up on routine ultrasounds. Needless to say, if insurance will cover giving me peace of mind (and it doesn't pose a risk for baby, I'm all for it!) Ashley cooperated with the tech - who did an AMAZING job by the way! He was able to get all the shots he needed even with her jumping and turning around, and everything looks and sounds great. It was fun getting to see her move around so much on the screen and feel her at the same time. She measured RIGHT ON to where she should be @ 23 weeks 6 days on Monday. We never had that with Kristen (she always measured behind) and Katelynn's dates were always just a tad behind too so it's always reassuring to hear that my baby is measuring right TO THE DAY! (Granted usually the measurements are within a 1-2 week +/- window, so having them give me that measurement felt so good!)

So here's the update for where Ashely's at now that she's 24 weeks old! :)
Your baby's growing steadily, having gained about 4 ounces since last week. That puts her at just over a pound. Since she's almost a foot long (picture an ear of corn), she cuts a pretty lean figure at this point, but her body is filling out proportionally and she'll soon start to plump up. Her brain is also growing quickly now, and her taste buds are continuing to develop and should start working very soon. Her lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help her air sacs inflate once she hits the outside world. Her skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a beautiful blog..what a lovely family and i truly admire how brave you are. I'm really sorry for your loss..Good luck in your pregnancy with Ashley, I wish you the best :)

    ReplyDelete