Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Olympic Style False Start!

I always felt bad for the athletes in a competition where there was a false start, they'd get distracted and have to start over - but then realized it may help them! They got to make sure they were really ready, refocus and do better next time. We got just that opportunity yesterday!

I had been having Braxton Hicks all weekend but it was just constant discomfort, nothing that came and went, or got progressively worse. Then Monday morning I was woken up at 2:30am with a major contraction and waves of them coming every couple of minutes, but not getting any stronger. So after about 45 minutes, I realized that this could be it and started running through my mind all the things that weren't ready yet! Where's the back-up doula's phone number? (ours is on vacation!) Katelynn doesn't have a bag packed, the camera batteries aren't all charged, the dishes aren't done, the baby carseat isn't in the car yet! So I got up and puttered around for about an hour trying to get stuff done and physically feeling fine so I decided to go back to bed. If it was the real thing, I was going to need as much rest as I could get! The moment I laid down they came right back, just as fast as they had started! But this time there was more of a break in between, so much so that I fell asleep between one of them and woke up 2 hours later! I was sure we'd be having dinner in the hospital, but nope! I may have had a handful more contractions over the course of the whole day, it was definitely a false start!

Needless to say, we used our Monday false start to "really" get ready! (Kevin has Monday's off so it worked out great!) And after seeing how quickly those contractions came (and unfortunately went!) we know that we're not going to have a whole lot of time to stay home and wait it out. So the dishes are done and the kitchen is beautiful (thanks Kevin!), Katelynn's bag is packed, the back-up doula knows our situation, the camera batteries are charged and packed, and we will be heading to the carseat inspection day this morning! We even watched two movies and got some grocery shopping done! Talk about a productive day and a much appreciated false start! Now if this baby could just decide if she wants out or not!!

One other sign I think we're getting close :) I'm craving all kinds of foods! Yesterday morning I wanted a McGriddle sandwich for breakfast (since I thought we'd be eating on the way to the hospital!), then for dinner I wanted fried chicken and chocolate ice cream! And that's just what we had - and it was great! (yes me, the non-chocolate eater!) I figured I'll be burning all those calories during labor anyway, right!?

So, are we ready? Probably not, but we're as ready as we're gonna be!!! Are we excited, you bet! As we were eating dinner last night I commented on how 12 hours ago this sure wasn't where I thought we'd be eating dinner! So who knows what today may hold... :) or tomorrow, or the next day, or the next.....

No comments:

Post a Comment